Yesterday was all about eggs and today was all about feathers. But we warmed up with a game called Maladies étranges. Two kids made a team of doctors. They left the room while the rest of us came up with an imaginary illness and decided what its symptoms would be. Then, the team of doctors would come back in and ask us questions to determine the illness. In one round, we were all characters from Beauty and the Beast. In another, we were slowly turning into fish.

We moved to the Work Room, gathering around the table to study feathers. Using a large hawk feather, I showed the kids the different parts of a feather. They then took turns using a magnifying glass to see the barbs and barbules on the hawk feather and a guinea fowl feather. In their nature journals, they sketched a feather and labeled its parts. I love that beginner-writer scrawling! They also taped feathers into their journals. Finally, with watercolour pencils, they sketched a feather and gave it whatever colours they wanted. With paintbrushes, they applied water over their drawings to give them a watercolour look. I think they turned out beautifully!

















We paused for a snack and to wait for Luba and her kids to arrive. She came with a new game (30-item scavenger hunt) and switched up the teams before they did it. Halfway through, they lost these younger ones, so I manned an early lunch group. Luba had put some interesting challenges in her list, including bringing a live spider to her (easy enough to find in the corners of our house) and bringing me flowers. I think I got the better end of the deal on that.

After lunch, the kids got their swimsuits on, grabbed their towels and we were off to the splash pad—much needed since it was 30 degrees today! We played at the park for an hour and a half before heading back. There was still time for one last activity, so I sent the kids into the forest to search for sticks for bows and arrows. With vegetable peelers to make pointed arrowheads, string for bows, and feathers for arrows, the kids whittled away the remaining hour or so. We let Marcia and Kitkut out again, as well, and watched Kitkut eat her first insects.










As the kids left, they took their photo frames and paintings. It was the last day for one family, and we will miss them! As the kids were saying their goodbyes, they asked if they could come back next summer, and Noah asked if we could do it again next week! It’s absolutely the best and only reward I could want for hosting the camp this year. I’m going to miss these guys next week! But there’s still one day left…